Spice oleoresins are a blend of the resin and essential oils of spices in a concentrated liquid form. They are obtained by the solvent extraction of the ground spices with subsequent removal of solvent.
Benefits of oleoresin
Oleoresins have a broad spectrum of applications in savory, dairy, beverages, soup powders, curry powders, confectioneries, meats industry, sauces, and poultry products. The benefits of oleoresins are:
- Consistency: Consistency in flavor because oleoresin allows product standardization.
- Convenience of use: can be blended and customized to achieve the desired characteristics of a spice and help in a better flavor release.
- Economic: Oleoresins are highly coveted as flavoring agents in the food processing industry, as they are more economical in terms of dosage and replace large quantities of traditional raw spice.
- Availability: Spices are seasonal products but spice oleoresins are available throughout the year.
- Microbe free: Zero bacterial contamination due to solvent extraction with subsequent removal of solvent.
- Storage: Ease of storage and handling.
- Shelf Life: Oleoresins have a longer shelf line than conventional raw spices and preserve the full characteristics of a raw spice. Shelf life is a year or longer.
Spice Equivalence Chart
Oleoresin resembles characteristics of respective spice. Smaller quantities of oleoresins can replace bulk quantity of traditional raw spices.